Wednesday 24 October 2007

The Dark Egg.

I have followed the dark track as it twisted and meandered through trees and hedges. I saw many fields prepared in the same manner as the first I encountered. Rounding a bend I came across one of the metal carriages you warned me to expect. It stood in a field untended and untied. I hid my Ned away from view and went on foot to better describe the beast for you.

It is most definitely made of metal and is not a living creature but a made one. Some of the iron is dull and some is decorated. It is bright green in colour and has two wheels as tall as a man. These are black like the track, they are hard yet soft, I can depress them with thumb. They are marked and inscribed with numbers and letters. There appears to be a seat high up enclosed in a windowed room. It is very small and a man in full armour could not sit there in comfort. So this is not meant for battle. The field here is part ploughed and I can see now that this carriage is used to make the furrows. To its rear, away from the seat, there are three foot high blades of polished steel set amongst many metal rods. I would like to meet the smithy that made this for he must be above master of his craft. A small shield is fixed to the front; it has the name “FORD” on it. Could this be the owner? Below this is a metal shield punched with holes. Looking through I can see the inside is made of metal and gearing. Like the workings of a portcullis. Here as well there are two much smaller wheels but these seem very hard to the touch.

I have returned to Ned having heard a roaring in the distance. It was getting louder and I calmed my horse as the beast rumbled past us on the track. We hid in the hedge but I saw that it was smaller than the carriage in the field and was moving faster than a horse at full gallop. There were people inside it though and they were musicians as I could here a strange music as they sped past. A wondrous thing to behold and I felt no fear but there was a lifting of the heart. I am traveling alongside the track not on it. This is not difficult and I have found some interesting objects along the way. I have kept some of the smaller for you to see for yourself. Some metal cups that have been crushed. They are as light as feathers and brightly decorated. They have a hole in one end it is so small and I cannot even fit my finger into it. In some there is still liquid. I dare not taste it though.

I have just found something most strange, it is parchment similar to that I see in your quarters but this is much lighter. The subject matter has to be seen. Naked wenches posed in all manner of rooms, wenches the like of which I have never seen. The people of this land must be the most beautified imagined. Their skin is perfect, their bodies sublime and hairless. They have no sores or disfigurements. There are also many words for you to study and images of this land that I cannot even guess at. I am better prepared now. To see such beauty first hand would have stood me agape. They would have taken me for a fool and simpleton.

I must write this before I forget. I had stopped to feed and water. The track was a little way across a grassy area and there were some tables set up under a tree. I was sitting and Ned was tied and feeding. I heard a sound and three people, one female and two young men came from the track waving at me and talking. I almost leapt for my sword then noticed they were not threatening. The female spoke to me then approached Ned. He did not seem concerned so I to relaxed. I could make out some words but when questioned I simply acted mute and grunted. One of the males called me “Mate” and offered me some bread and a container of water. Was I to be his mate? I was tense and ready to defend myself. They were a little taller than me but I could have snapped them like twigs if I had a mind to. He offered the food then left me be. I nodded thanks and he went across to the female. She was young and slender and had the brightest of red hair. They became very passionate and were touching and kissing. I felt a flush of face and turned away to look at the food. The male at the table near me was looking into an egg shaped object and his fingers were pressing at it. I tried to get a closer look but he saw me, smiled, said something about a “High score” and dropped the egg into his pocket.

The bread had some cheese in it and I have never tasted a food like it. The water was in a clear light container and was as pure as a spring. It had no taste and was cold. I have kept the bottle. The three sat with me for a while. They ate, talked loudly, laughed a lot and ignored me most of the time. Their attire was very fine and none of the men had any armour nor did not see any sign of weaponry. After a time there came the sound of music from one of them. I jumped up and as I did so Ned stomped and whinnied. I went to attend him and move away from the three when the male by the tree lifted a dark egg to his ear. The music stopped and he began to speak loudly and walked away from the group. I could only watch.

The egg was put away into his pocket he gestured to the others to follow and with a wave they all three left the way they had come. I caught one word as they departed it sounded like “Yokel.” I wonder what they meant. I will remember the word.

No comments: